Lakeland Role Playing Guild provides two gaming events each month on the 2nd and 4th Fridays from 7:00-11:30pm. We meet at 3140 Troy Avenue in Lakeland (inside the UU Congregation of Lakeland).

Our events provide multiple scheduled gaming tables as well as room for open tables for board games or card games or pick up RPG games. Check out our event descriptions in the category Guild News, Announcements, and Schedule.

Events are free to check out, although we do encourage regular attendees to join the Guild. Beginning in Activity Year 18 (Sept 2017), dues are $40 per person to become a member. If you do not wish to become a member, after two visits as a guest, there will be a $2 door charge to play. Your dues help us pay for our rent of the space and other items as needed.

We do not provide matchmaking services for home tables. We do not advertise home tables. We are involved primarily with running our two mini-con events each month. If members wish to recruit for their own personal home tables, they are welcome to do so both at Guild events as well as in the member-only section of the forum. The Guild holds no responsibility for those tables run outside of Guild.
Welcome to the new Lakeland Role Playing Guild forums. All content has been imported from our old system and slightly reorganized. If you encounter any issues or cannot located particular content, drop me a message in the Off Topic category by including @mightyrocket or send us an email at guild @ lakeland-rpg.com.
Are you looking for a game or have an open spot at your home table? We added a Looking for Game category for Members only. Be sure to check it out. Game on!

Introduction to Campaign

edited March 2013 in Novus Somnium
A stiff wind blows in from the sea, bringing with it the smell of salt and fish. Ropes from the ships riggings snap in the breeze, joining the clatter and hum of the shipyard. Dozens of sailors and dockworkers load ships with cargo, rolling barrels up gangplanks and pushing handcarts laden with goods bound for exotic ports. Perspective passengers meander through the maze of workers, avoiding obstacles while seeking passage on one of the ships.

The “Luella Dane” doesn’t appear to be any different from most of the other ships. Average in size, the cog’s sails are neatly rolled and its rigging carefully tended. Named for some forgotten daughter or lover of a shipwright or important politician, the ship is treated by her captain and crew better than some men treat their wives. Captain Byrne Fell is well respected among the merchants and townspeople. He is known for running a tight ship and for his careful and cautious handling of merchandise. While not the swiftest boat docked in the port, the “Luella Dane” always reaches her destination with all goods and passengers aboard.

Today, Captain Fell paces the deck, manifest in his hand. While he makes his living primarily from cargo, like most ships, he takes on passengers as well for a few extra bits of gold to add to his coffers. Spaces are filling quickly though and he is eager to set sail.

“Line up here, please. I have a few spaces left but we leave in an hour so hurry please!” The captain’s voice rings out above the clatter and commotion of the busy docks. Several passengers approach to add their names to the manifest.
"Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."
-- G. K. Chesterton

Comments

• Please create a Level 4 character using Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition, Player Handbooks I and II.

Use a 32 point buy systems for your abilities. This means you distribute 32 points among the abilities using the buy system found in the Dungeons Master's Guide, page 169. Since not everyone has this guide, I will explain below.

Start all Abilities at 8. Then buy points to add to this base using the following chart.

Ability Score = Point Cost

9 = 1
    10 = 2
    11 = 3
    12 = 4
    13 = 5
    14 = 6
    15 = 8
    16 = 10
    17 = 13
    18 = 16

This means if you wish to raise your Strength from 8 to 14, you must use 6 of your 32 points to raise the ability. You now have 26 points left to use to raise other ability scores.

Please ask if you have questions. For those of you who do not have the handbooks or need help, we will spend time before the adventure on Friday helping you to build characters.

Remember, use the introduction to think about your characters. Much of the game will take place at sea or near the sea.
    "Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    -- G. K. Chesterton
  • hi i saw that this is the campain were playing friday so i have been trying to read up, if im able to come friday would you all mind helping me out, its been several years since i played
  • DragoDrago Deep in the forest or near St. Augustine, FL
    Dale,

That is what we are all about. A group that gathers together to experience all things, old and new within our hobby of RPG's. Any one of us would have no problem in assisting you with questions you may have, and in helping you immense yourself back into the hobby. Currently, the two tables that are running for the Novus Somnium campaign have pre-generated character options, but either of the GM's could work with you to create a character if you like. See you then.

DUANE :evil:
    O.k. Rogue, you go into the scary cave first. We will all be right behind you. I'M NOT GOING IN THERE. WHY DON'T YOU GO FIRST "FIGHTER"! Well someone has go in first. Hey, Wizard we have a job for you...AND THIS IS HOW THE PARTY LOSES THE WIZARD.
  • Hey there Dale!

This particular forum thread is a little aged and we haven't been as on the ball as we should be in updating it. The current Novus Somnium campaign is called Kingdoms of Legend and uses the Pathfinder rules. This game engine is in the D20 family so has a great deal of similarity to the Dungeons & Dragons v3.5 guidelines referenced here earlier.

We currently have two tables for KoL, one run by Guildsman Steve V and the other run by me. Steve allows for players to create their own original charactes but usually has a couple of pre-generated ones available also. My table always uses pre-gens (but players can "claim" one of these if they decide to make steady appearances at the table).

The campaign itself is fantasy-based but sits against a historical background, the year 1415 to be specific. Religion is the traditional fantasy model of a few different multi-deity pantheons but with a twist. All of the human cultures worship one of four groups of gods but scholars and clerics have realized that they actually are the same twelve gods, essentially the Olympians. The demi-humans worship there own deities, who essentially are the Titans, and the religious tensions of the historical period are played out in-game in this fashion. There is a good deal more going on in the campaign world so stay tuned for further updates as we get things rolling on the message boards again.

Looking forward to seeing you Friday!

Peace,
    Scott M. Presley
    Guild Master

"So understand / Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years / Face up ... make your stand / And realize you're living in the golden years" -- from "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden
  • Oops! I thought Dale was asking about my current campaign! LOL

Yeah, this is an old one....
    -- G. K. Chesterton
  • So this is not live and playing online
    500 Penny Design, RPG Publishing Company
    http://500pennydesign.tkimwrsvc.com/
  • Tad, this was a Novus Somnium campaign at the guild a while ago. It was not overly popular so did not run for long. :)

An online game would be fun, but we seem to have trouble getting people to commit! If you ever want to start one, let me know. I love online games, forums, emails or whatever.
    -- G. K. Chesterton
  • hey im down for an online game, heck im down for any game if some people just wana get together and play, let me know ok
    Dale,

My home table is always looking for a fourth player, but it is always hard to find someone with the commitment. We get together every Sunday from about 10am til 5pm. Of course real life comes into play sometimes, so we make excepts. This past month we have not been able to get together due to holidays, flus, and weddings. We will be starting back up in April.

We usually like to get together with a possible new player before we bring them into a campaign we're running. The Renaissance Festival would be a great place and time to get to know you, and we could see if the glove fits. We could also meet with you at the next guild meeting.

We are a group of Old School Gamers, and we traditional play Pathfinder. (D&D 3.75) :wink: But we have played many different game systems. Currently, we are running a Dresden Files campaign. Our game style is the traditonal D&D template. We all work together as a group/party to overcome our challenges. We look forward to the prospect of meeting with you, and the possibility of you joining our group!

DUANE :twisted:
    O.k. Rogue, you go into the scary cave first. We will all be right behind you. I'M NOT GOING IN THERE. WHY DON'T YOU GO FIRST "FIGHTER"! Well someone has go in first. Hey, Wizard we have a job for you...AND THIS IS HOW THE PARTY LOSES THE WIZARD.
  • hey duane i am looking forward to see all of you at the next meeting were still trying to figure out if me and my wife can go to the ren faire or not cause she just started a new job and we dont know what her schedule is going to be like this weekend, but i should deffinetly make the next meeting without issue,hope to see yall soon
    Sounds great! Just let me know about the Ren Fair by Friday, so we know to look for you at the gate.

• i cant remember though do i have to dress up for the ren faire or can i come dressed normally, its been a while since i went
    Come as you are, but if you can dress up, great!!! The most important you will need is the want to have a good time. Most of us dress up because we love to do it. There will be a mix of costume wearing, and non-costume wearings folks in our group. So, either way is fine. I will be dressed as an elf, like the pictures from facebook, so you will know what to look for when you meet up with us at the front gate. We hope you can make it out, and we look forward to meeting you!

• im going to try just waiting to hear back from the mechanic to see if my vans gonna be fixed