Lakeland Role Playing Guild provides two gaming events each month on the 2nd and 4th Fridays from 7:00-11:30pm. We meet at 3140 Troy Avenue in Lakeland (inside the UU Congregation of Lakeland).

Our events provide multiple scheduled gaming tables as well as room for open tables for board games or card games or pick up RPG games. Check out our event descriptions in the category Guild News, Announcements, and Schedule.

Events are free to check out, although we do encourage regular attendees to join the Guild. Beginning in Activity Year 18 (Sept 2017), dues are $40 per person to become a member. If you do not wish to become a member, after two visits as a guest, there will be a $2 door charge to play. Your dues help us pay for our rent of the space and other items as needed.

We do not provide matchmaking services for home tables. We do not advertise home tables. We are involved primarily with running our two mini-con events each month. If members wish to recruit for their own personal home tables, they are welcome to do so both at Guild events as well as in the member-only section of the forum. The Guild holds no responsibility for those tables run outside of Guild.
Welcome to the new Lakeland Role Playing Guild forums. All content has been imported from our old system and slightly reorganized. If you encounter any issues or cannot located particular content, drop me a message in the Off Topic category by including @mightyrocket or send us an email at guild @ lakeland-rpg.com.
Are you looking for a game or have an open spot at your home table? We added a Looking for Game category for Members only. Be sure to check it out. Game on!

Painting Station

edited March 25 in Gaming
Reusing some of my old gear I made this new station. I elevated the workstation and added one of those high intensity COB led lights via a coat hanger. I will add weight to the peanut jar to stabilize the whole thing. I also picked up the idea of using pill bottles as a paint base. In the past I used a wooden dowel which worked fine, however, I had to have a stiff foam block to stick the dowel in between sessions. With the bottle I can just set it down.
So what does your station look like and what little tricks have you discovered?

"There are three stages in every business negotiation, the smiling stage, the lying stage, and finally, the shooting stage. The better negotiator knows when to skip the first two." - Jebediah Wayward

Comments

• Nice! My usual painting station has been made unavailable, but I will snap a photo when I sit down to paint this week and will post then!
  • I use that table top for everything so I had to make something very portable. It will fit on the shelf where I keep the pallet and the paint/brush holder you can see in the background.
    "There are three stages in every business negotiation, the smiling stage, the lying stage, and finally, the shooting stage. The better negotiator knows when to skip the first two." - Jebediah Wayward
  • Very cool bit of homebrewed construction!

"So understand / Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years / Face up ... make your stand / And realize you're living in the golden years" -- from "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden
  • GMScott;10609" said:
    Very cool bit of homebrewed construction!
    Very home-brewed. :)) The hardest part was finding a wire coat hanger. Those beast are near extinct around here.
  • Some biological shipping containers waiting to be painted. The astronaut is a contender to represent a character doing EVA.
  • edited April 1
    Wow, sometimes nature provides the best prop. Maybe a little sealer will preserve it.

• Dude that's awesome and perfect!

"So understand / Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years / Face up ... make your stand / And realize you're living in the golden years" -- from "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden
  • As promised, here are pics of my painting station setup:

I've had to become much more portable over the last year or so. All my paints and brushes and unpainted minis reside in the lower box (paints in the bottom, brushes and minis and other do-dads such as a toothbrush and some tools reside in the tray). The middle box is where I store my palettes, my cleaning tubs, and my jars for washing brushes. The top box holds tools: files, pipettes, long swabs for cleaning up, mini bamboo skewers that work for a variety of things, sticky tack, and my sculpting tools for Green Stuff (which I have but have yet to use). I also keep my smaller Ott light in the big container, as well as a pair of reading glasses and any in progress minis as well. Oh, and the Hobby Holder and my shot glasses I use for mounting my minis while I paint. You'll notice that the plastic tray I use for my wet palette is there and not put away (I wasn't sure if I was painting more or not when I packed this up). You can also see the primer I use (I have it in grey and black, too) and the sealer I use for minis.

This is as I was setting up. I was getting to use my new minis holder thing for the first time. I backed it on Kickstarter and it's amazing. It only came with five bottle caps, so the other Mechs had to go on my go-to method of plastic shot glasses. This was also before I busted out an extra lamp to help with lighting. I've moved my painting area a few times over the years and now just have to be portable.

As I was really into it. I typically don't use plastic palettes anymore. Other than for mixing washes or for some dry brush paints. I now use a wet palette and cannot recommend it enough for Florida. I can paint for hours without my paint drying out. I was even able to put the lid on it and come back a few hours later and my paint was still wet.

A close up of the holder. It's called the Hobby Holder and can be found here. I love it. Now I'm going to collect more bottle caps so I can do a full army in my usual assembly line method and not need to rely on my plastic cups.

Today I'm transitioning to painting my terrain pieces, which uses straight craft acrylics. I need to get a container to store the paints, although I do have storage for all the terrain (both as individual blocks and once assembled on foam core).

• Thanks for all the photos and tips!

I googled wet pallet and yep it makes perfect sense. I'll start using one.

Thanks again.
  • Forgot to ask. Do you use tap water, filtered or distilled?
  • I use a big jug of purified water (which is distilled). Super cheap and I just keep it next to my station. I also use that for making my washes. Tap water runs the risk of adding things to your paint.
  • Being so cheap, I agree. Why brother worrying about using anything else.
  • My first attempt. I am not doing something right.

Before

After

• Better

Instead of the typical crypt bone white skeleton I went with the skeleton of a ranger that died in the forest. Laying there on the ground his/her bones become dirty, moldy, and mossy.

Here are some wooden pallets that turned out nice.

• Nice! I like to see various environmental effects on undead, skeletons especially.

• Here is my upgraded painting station. I had one of these swing arm magnifying lights from years back, however, the neck joint on it broke just before I moved here. I recently came across it and thought I might try contacting the company for a replacement part. After a few e-mails they sent me a brand new lamp. VooHoo!! The other big upgrade was the three tiered swiveling parts holder. I got one on at Harbor Freight on sale. As you can see that's where I keep my paint, brushes and numerous handy tools and items. I also re-purposed the three tier plastic storage bin that was in the garage. I made the brush wash holder out of a cake icing container and a plastic spring I found somewhere in the rubble of my garage. You can see a few items I have painted, some are done some are waiting for embellishment. I made and panted some nice terrain pieces as well but, revealing those will have to wait until game time.